In addition to Sectoral and Plenary formats, the NSMC also meets in Institutional format, with the Northern Ireland Executive represented by the First Minister and deputy First Minister and the Irish Government represented by the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade. In this format, the NSMC considers institutional and cross-sectoral issues, including in relation to the EU, and endeavours to resolve disagreements and difficulties in the operations of the NSMC.
The Council has met twelve times in Institutional format:
- Twelfth Institutional Meeting Armagh 16 December 2020
- Eleventh Institutional Meeting Armagh 11 March 2020
- Tenth Institutional Meeting Belfast 25 February 2015
- Ninth Institutional Meeting Dublin 10 January 2014
- Eighth Institutional Meeting, Stormont Castle, Belfast 29 April 2013
- Seventh Institutional Meeting, Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin - 27 April 2012
- Sixth Institutional Meeting, Stormont Castle - 3 October 2011
- Fifth Institutional Meeting, Stormont Castle - 11 November 2009
- Fourth Institutional Meeting, Dublin - 28 April 2009
- Third Institutional Meeting, Stormont Castle - 17 December 2007
- Second Institutional Meeting, Dundalk - 30 October 2007
- First Institutional Meeting, Parliament Buildings, Belfast - 17 December 2001
Joint Communiques for Institutional Meetings are available in the Publications section.