The Council meets in the Environment Sector in order to make decisions on common policies and approaches in areas such as environmental protection, pollution, water quality management and waste management in a cross-border context.
The initial agreed work programme includes:
1. Research into Environmental Protection
- Information on environmental research activities North and South, information on best practice and sources of information
- The establishment of a data base of environmental information
- Current problems and issues in relation to environmental protection and mutually beneficial ways to address these
- Identification of strategies and activities which would contribute to a coherent all-island approach to the achievement of sustainable development
2. Water Quality Management & Waste Management in a Cross-Border context
- The development of catchment-based strategies in relation to water quality
- The environmental impact of agricultural activities and related issues
- The scope for improved waste management in a cross-border context taking account of waste policy in the EU, the UK and Ireland.
You can view Environment Sector Joint Communiques in the Publications section.