The Council meets in the Transport Sector in order to make decisions on common policies and approaches in areas such as co-operation on strategic transport planning including road and rail infrastructure and public transport services and road and rail safety.
The initial agreed work programme includes:
1. Strategic Transport Planning
- Review and updating of transport policy for the island of Ireland taking account of the requirements of the Trans-European Network and covering
- the national road network
- the mainline rail network
- cross border bus services
- sustainable transport management
- co-ordination of transport aspects of EU cross-border programmes
- development of plans for specific cross-border projects.
2. Road and Rail Safety
Experience of road and rail safety programmes.
- Road and rail safety targets and priorities.
- The possibility of harmonisation of road and rail safety reporting and information systems and mutual recognition of driving disqualifications, penalty points, etc.
- The possibility of joint road safety campaigns and educational initiatives where this would lead to economies of scale.
- The development of common rail safety standards and criteria and a common regulatory framework for rail safety.
- Co-operation between the Railway Inspectorates North and South.
You can view Transport Sector Joint Communiques in the Publications section.